Financial Resources

You are here:

Low Interest, Long Amortization Loan Programs

Do you live in Massachusetts and own a home that needs to be made accessible? Did you know you can get a 0% interest loan up to $50,000 and not have to make any payments until the property is sold or has its title transferred.

Learn More

Home and Thriving

Do you have or know of a loved one in your family age 50+ that you would like to know of their health status remotely? If so, the company Home and Thriving (HaT) enables seniors to age safely in the comfort of their own homes.

If you are a senior living independently at home and are worried about unexpected health events, gain peace-of-mind knowing your health is being monitored automatically and your status is being shared daily with your loved ones. Home and Thriving (HaT) has developed an ambient daily health monitoring and notification system that is revolutionizing aging in place.

Learn More

Area Agency on Aging

Some Area Agencies on Aging use funds from the Older Americans Act Title III to modify homes. To locate the Area Agency on Aging in your community, call the Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 or visit their website.

Learn More

Department of Housing and Community Development

Many cities and towns use Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) to help maintain and upgrade homes. Contact the local Department for more information. A listing of Housing and Community Development Agencies can be found by calling the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials at toll free (877) 866-2476.

Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

The FHA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), administers mortgage insurance programs (e.g., Title 1 and Section 203(k) that can help home buyers and homeowners secure loans to make home modifications. For more information, contact the regional HUD field office listed in the telephone directory, or visit their website.

Learn More

Health Insurance

Some private health insurance and long term care insurance plans also pay for limited home modifications. Check with your insurance provider.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

If the home modifications meet certain conditions, they may be tax deductible. Part of the expense of installing lifts, tubs or showers may be deductible if they increase the resale value of the property and have been prescribed as medically necessary. Consult a tax professional and order a free copy of IRS Publication 502 for more information. Contact the IRS by visiting their website or calling (800) 829-3676.

Learn More

Rural Housing Services (RHS) Grants/Loans

Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the RHS offers various grants and loans for rural, low-income elders. RHS Section 502 Home Ownership Loans may be used to rehabilitate, repair, buy, build, or improve rural homes and related facilities. RHS Section 504, the Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program, provides loans and grants to very low-income persons 62 years and older to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health or safety hazards. To locate the local Rural Development area offices, visit their website.

Learn More

State Assistive Technology Programs

Offers Loans/Grants for people with disabilities and their family members. Visit their website for your state contact information.

Learn More

Veterans Administration

The Veteran’s Administration (VA) offers programs that pay for renovations needed for accessibility. For more information contact the VA Office at 1-877-222-VETS or visit their website.

Learn More

The Catastrophic Illness In Children's Relief Fund

Home modifications related to accessibility as well as a host of other medically related expenses are reimbursable, up to $10k per project in many cases. For more information visit their website.

Learn More

Independent Living Center: Title VII Part B

In Massachusetts, federal money from Title VII Part B funding is made available to many of the Independent Living Centers (ILC) in Massachusetts for the purchase of equipment and services to assist people to maintain or achieve independence. For more information, please contact a regional ILC or contact MRC at (617)-204-3628 .

The Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program (ATLP)

The Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program (ATLP) provides low-interest loans to qualified people with disabilities and their families to purchase assistive technology devices and services that will help them lead more independent lives. If you are not financially eligible for home modifications under the HMLP, you may be able to apply to the ATLP. Contact: Leonidas Tonevski at 1-800-244-2756 ext.428 or 431 TTY 1-800-564-9700 or visit their website.

Learn More

Department of Developmental Services (DDS)

Individuals eligible for services for the Department of Developmental Services may be eligible to receive adaptive housing services through the Family Support Program. For more information contact your regional DDS office or visit their website.

Learn More

Maine Housing's Home Accessibility and Repair Program

Maine Housing’s Home Accessibility and Repair Program provides help to low-income homeowners who cannot afford necessary home repairs in the form of a grant.
For eligible homeowners, the Maine Home Accessibility and Repair Program can assist with improvements necessary for persons with disabilities or who are experiencing physical barriers living at the home.

Learn More

Independent Living Services Program For Maine Citizens with Disabilities

The Independent Living Services program, also know as the T7B Grant program, assists eligible individuals with significant disabilities to overcome substantial barriers that inhibit functioning independently. This program is designed to address self-care, communication, health, disability management, and participation in community activities, learning difficulties, and many other independent living services.

Learn More

Adaptive Equipment Loan Program

Loans are available from $250 – $100,000. The objective is to enable individuals with disabilities to remain as independent as possible. Loans are not based on income, but an individual’s ability to repay the loan. Loans can be taken by you, a friend, or a family member. Renovations may include bathroom modifications, wheelchair accessible barrier free showers, stairlifts, vertical platform lifts.

Learn More

Interested in our Accessible Bathroom Modification services?

Get in touch today!